5. The Fighter
This film was so awesome, let me tell you. It's based on the true story of boxer Micky Ward (Mark Whalberg) and his brother Dicky Eklund (Christian Bale). The film focuses on Micky's relationship with his half-brother and trainer Dicky, a crack addict, his girlfriend Charlene (Amy Adams), and his mother/manager Alice (Melissa Leo), while he's trying to improve his boxing career.
The highlight of this film is Christian Bale's performance. He plays Dicky Eklund to the tee. If he doesn't win the Oscar for this, I don't know what the world is coming to.
4. The Social Network
Another amazing film by the great David Fincher. This film is based on the book "The Accidental Billionaires." In other words, it's about the formation of the ever-popular social website Facebook, and the lawsuits that follow its formation. The film stars Jesse Eisenberg as creator Mark Zuckerberg, Andrew Garfield as Eduardo Saverin, and Armie Hammer as twins Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss.
I honestly believe that this film will get Best Picture at the Oscars, although it is not my personal favorite. It is the only film on my list that is at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes for Top Critics (the only ones that matter). There is a reason for that. I wouldn't be surprised seeing a Best Actor nomination for Jesse Eisenberg either. If you haven't seen it this year, you missed out.
3. Black SwanI just saw this film 5 days ago and all I could say leaving the theater was "wow." Darren Aronofsky has outdone himself with this one. The film is about ballerina Nina Sayers trying out for the lead role, both the black and white swan, in "Swan Lake." She focuses too much on perfection and according to her instructor Thomas Leroy "Vincent Cassel," does not "feel" it. Nina's alternate Lily (Mila Kunis), on the other hand, does "feel" it. As Nina and Lily grow closer, Nina feels that Lily is trying to take her place as the lead role. Because of this, Nina has a major breakdown. That's pretty much all I can say without giving anything away.
Natalie Portman is a lock for Best Actress. If she doesn't win I will be sorely disappointed in the Academy. If you have seen any other of Aronofsky's films, you know that you will feel 10x better about your life when you leave the theater. He has a knack for bringing out the worst in the people on-screen but making it beautiful. This is one of the most original stories of the year and I see it at least being nominated for Best Original Screenplay, and maybe winning.
2. The TownOne of the best crime dramas released in at least 10 years, to put it lightly. Directed by Ben Affleck, starring Ben Affleck, and co-written by Ben Affleck. Busy guy, no? I'm telling you, Ben Affleck is a force to be reckoned with these days. He did a beautiful job directing this Boston crime drama and had an amazing cast behind him. He starred as Doug MacRay, a career criminal looking to get out of the business. Jeremy Renner as "Jem" Coughlin, Doug's best friend who won't let Doug get out of the crime life, and Rebecca Hall as Claire Keesey, the manager of a bank Doug's team robbed, who also begins a romantic relationship with Doug.
I really hope to see this get a Best Picture nomination. Seeing as how there will be 10 nominations, there shouldn't be a problem, but you never know with the Academy. Maybe a Best Adapted Screenplay nom, since it is based on Chuck Hogan's novel "Prince of Thieves." Any other year and this film would be a lock for a lot of nominations and possibly wins, but this was a very good year for movies.
1. Inception
Easily my number one for the year. It has some of the best actors and actresses working today, one of the best directors, and easily one of the most original stories ever. It stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Dom Cobb, an extractor who goes into peoples sub-conscious to steal their thoughts. He has the chance to go back home to his kids when Mr. Saito (Ken Watanabe) employs him to plant a thought in a rivals mind. In other words, Inception.
This is the most original story ever. I expect a Screenplay nomination and Best Picture nomination. I would think it would win the screenplay award, but as I've said before, you never know. Christopher Nolan might get a Best Director nomination, but sadly, it isn't likely.
Well, there you have it, my top five films of the year. Let me know what you think. Maybe I'm stupid? Tell me!
.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment