Once again, it's time for my Movie of the Week. This week is my number 4 film, American History X. This film is about two brothers Derek Vinyard (Edward Norton) and Danny Vinyard (Edward Furlong) and their lives as part of a neo-nazi skinhead group. The film starts off with Derek going to jail for killing a man, who happens to be black, for breaking into his vehicle and trying to steal his stereo. Once in jail, he is forced to work with a black man on laundry duty, and soon learns that just because people are different skin colors doesn't mean they are all bad. Meanwhile, Danny joins Derek's old gang and falls into the same lifestyle that Derek was once in. Because he does not want to see Danny make the same mistakes as Derek, the high school principal forces Danny to write a report on his brothers life, who just happens to be getting out of jail that day. So, Derek agrees to help Danny with the paper. This enables them to grow closer and gives Derek the opportunity to teach Danny that the life he's living isn't the best one.
This film is so powerful. That's really the only way to explain it. From the story all the way down to the acting, it's phenomenal. I believe this is Edward Norton's best performance (yes, even more so than Fight Club). I mean, he got nominated for an Academy Award for this role, so that must mean something. I can also say this was my favorite performance by Edward Furlong. I always thought he was amazing, and I'm upset that he hasn't done a film in a while, but for the most part he only picked good material to work on. I recommend this to every single person, it's truly a remarkable story and is wonderfully acted.

No comments:
Post a Comment